Nominations open from April 1 through September 5, 2016.
The SB&F Prizes aim to encourage the reading, writing and publishing of quality science books. The Prizes began in 2005 by looking back on 40 years of outstanding science books and honoring six authors for their distinguished and lasting contribution to science literature. Beginning in 2006 and beyond, the Prizes honor recently published, individual books.
Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
- Children's Science Picture Book (prize to author and illustrator)
- Middle Grades Science Book (prize to author)
- Young Adult Science Book (prize to author)
- Hands-On Science Book (prize to author)
A judging panel made up of scientists, experts in the field of science literature, librarians, and AAAS staff, will assess the entries based on these several criteria.
Winners will be announced January 2017. Winning authors and illustrators will be honored at the AAAS Annual Meeting on February 16-20, 2017 in Boston, MA. Each winner will receive $1500 and a commemorative plaque.
1) Submission of books will be open from April 1 through September 5, 2016.
2) Submitted books must have a publication date between September 2015 and September 2016.
3) The SB&F Prizes cover all aspects of science, including technology, mathematics, medicine, history of science, and biographies of scientists. Only nonfiction, science books are eligible.
4) Publishers may submit as many books as they wish in each category.
5) Books affiliated with AAAS or Science, in any way, will not be eligible.
6) The books must be in the English language.
7) Books from a series must be submitted individually and will be judged individually.
8) Books will be judged based on this eligibility criteria.
9) Winners of the SB&F Prize are not eligible to win consecutive years.
10) The closing date for entries is September 5, 2016. No entries received after this date will be considered.
For questions about a book's eligibility, please contact Maria Sosa.
1) The judging panel is selected by AAAS and the staff of SB&F. The judges' decisions are final.
2) In the event that a book is chosen as a finalist for the Prizes, publishers will agree to:
- contribute up to 8 additional copies of the book for final judging
- check with authors’ availability to attend the awards ceremony at the AAAS Annual Meeting in Boston, MA, February 16-20, 2017.
3) Publishers of winning books will agree to contribute up to 10 additional copies of the book.
Please carefully read the criteria and select only your best books before entering.
Download entry form for Children's, Middle Grades, and Hands-on Science categories.
Download entry form for Young Adult category.